Friday, March 30, 2007

A mixed week in Melbourne

Hi England!

I've definitely had a mixed few weeks in Melbourne, emcmpassing excitement, lonliness, confusion, boredom & most recently enlightenment in a weird way!

Following the GP I've done a few things summarised below:

  • Visit to old prison at night, saw where Ned Kelly & others were hung!
  • Eaten alot of donuts, and also Kangaroo (not the one I met)
  • Spent half a day in hospital, before you worry it wasnt for me, my friend woke up with a bleeding ear so I took him to the 'Eye & Ear Hospital' (would be called something like the Opthalmic & Octoiopathic Institute if it was in England!)
  • Managed to get lost whilst hunting for churches and a Vodafone store
  • Seen sharks & stingrays being fed
  • Seen Dr Karl Kennedy (Alan 'Fletch' Fletcher) sing Oasis songs and You'll Never Walk Alone...... I proudly 'woood' when they asked if there were any Villa fans in the house!
  • Drunk Alcohol, thus breaking the half-lent pact Id made to myself and Mr EB, Corona/Magners is twice the price here, so wrong!
  • Been to beach a few times but the fricking weather has changed from hot/sunny to windy/cloudy/RAIN!!! So no swim in the sea yet
  • Ridden a few trams without paying which didnt feel good, as its stealing.
  • Tonight I went to a partay for a German woman I met at the hospital, later went to an Aussie Strip-Club with 2 guys! Now yes this was my 1st time at such an establishment and yes some of you will disaprove of this BUT I must say it was a very classy place and the women are friendly and chatty. Prostitution is completely wrong, although when it comes to strip-clubs my personal opinion is that if you behave yourself and are happy to pay money to see women dancing and lap-dancing then thats your personal choice. Some places are seedy, yes, and taking your clothes off for a living is not something to be proud of, but I do not have a problem with going as a one-off. I didnt come away feeling lustful or wanting more. In fact it was enjoyable, managed to ask a few girls why they do what they do, how it feels to have all sorts of men gawping at them, if they have religious beliefs. Some do have brains and afterall they're protected in there and are in control, they have power of the men they dance for. (No pictures of this last one, rest assured Mum!)
  • Highlight of Melbourne though has been spending time with Muz, it's bizarre in a cool way to be the other side of the world but feel like Im at home going round town and drinking with a friend from Sutton. I've felt lonely/isolated but being able to talk and spend time with someone who is in similar situation and shares memories of home has been a great gift from God!

5 comments:

Teapot said...

Why do you want to see women take their clothes off?

That's a serious question I'm asking here.
Wait for an answer................

Men don't usually go to strip clubs just to watch these women for
a)Art
b)Wanting to talk to them and show them the error of their ways
c)They go because they are wanting to be roused!!!
d)Would you take Donald with you and suggest to him, it's ok because
of all the reasons you list? I think not.
e)This is my own view and I maybe shot down in flames as being narrow and unenlightened.

f) As a woman I find it personally degrading that some men see us like sex objects to be gawped at.

The Random One said...

Not at all, your views are perfectly valid.

This is something I did, hadnt planned to but was enlightening thats all, Id never been to one before - doesnt mean I had to go but it was a personal choice.

Expect most of you will disapprove, cant take it back now though!

D Baynham said...

R.O, we all need to grow and learn. I believe you will both learn and grow from this.
Exploitation is the name of the game...quite apt at the moment, 200 years on from the abolition of the slave trade in the UK. Some would have said that some slaves enjoyed their job... If you are a woman and need to feed your family or a drug habit or what ever and you know that for dancing in your undies or naked, or the next step selling your body for sex will earn you the money…

It is like fair trade R.O, if everyone used fair trade eventually Nestle and the other unfair traders would stop and start fair trading, if Men stopped visiting Strip Clubs they would cease to trade.

Teapot said...

well, ta for the e-mail, and I agree with EB. He's very wise.
He's right about the comment on strip clubs.

He's also put it much better than I did!

Take care out there!! we are all thinking of you! :-)

Mrs Sheep Lover said...

is this really my innocent son? Well when I copied some of your blog to send to a few relatives and friends, who wouldnt know what blogs are and would just like a glimpse of your tour- I said it was your diary. I edited the Strip Club bit and the failure to pay the tram fees!! I remember when you used to dodge buying a ticket into Brum, until your younger bruv got a fine doing so!!

Well, I dont want my respectable friends- geoff and birs, George and marian and your uncle david and kay in Adelaide to think you have "gone off ther rails"!!