Monday, April 16, 2007

And so to New South Wales

Apparently its not known why this state got its name (that is aaccording to my Australian History research tool...Bill Bryson's 'Down Under' book!).

I departed Melbourne on Thursday 12th April for a 3-day tour to Syndey, taking in Nelson's Promontory, most southerley point of mainland Oz, Lakes Entrance, The Snowy Mountains, Lake Jindabyne, part 1 of Canberra (Im planning to go back at end of April to stay/work for a while with Matt's old uni pastor) and arrived in Sydney Saturday night, the group then went out for a meal and drinks (free beer 10-11pm!). Being the sensible lightweight that I am I left at 11.30pm with the young christian couple in the group!

Tour was fantastic, 25 of us in total including driver, group got on well there was a stron english contingent and some good banter..... I managed to get best beds at both nights of accomodation! Highlights were wake-boarding on lake jindabyne (awesome experience even if you dont actually manage to stand up on the board! ) Also a hair-raising drive along Barry Way which is basically a dirt-track through the mountains at high speed with the very real possibility of plunging over the edge! We spent a few hours in Canberra at the Parliament House....so impressive, and the city centre (I'd been told Canberra is 'dead' by fellow travellers but I liked it).






Day 2 of Sydney I met up with my good friend Anna, whom I met in London last year, she took me round the harbour, got token tourist photos of the Opera House & Harbour Bridge plus so cool to be with an aussie friend for few hours! Later I headed to a South-Eastern suburb of Kingsford where Im staying for a week with Clare, sister of another aussie mate from London! Living with 3 christian girls for a week is a far cry from hostels in Melbourne! Tey even took me to their unichurch and milkshakes after at the campus-flat of Clare's housemates' bf Rod (cool name!). So even though I didnt plan to come to Sydney so soon God is paving the way for my 2 week stay, woohoo!! Money is fast running low though prayers for my survival would be much appreciated (and any contacts I could visist/stay with to save $s too!)


me at the border of Victoria & NSW









a night to remember in Lake Jindabyne!

English guys abroad, add alcohol.....









Now for the touristy Sydney pics....












On an aside, I looked at my diary today and noted it would be Matt's 31st Birthday on 22nd April. My thoughts & prayers are with each of you in Sutton who will find it hard this weekend, I wish I was with you all to gather for a giant hug.

1 comment:

Mrs Sheep Lover said...

Yes it was a sad weekend. Also for the rankin family and the Williamsons. Don died 2 years ago on 22nd April. It would have been his 82nd birthday on 23rd. Matt and don share a birthday with the great Bard(alias William Shakespeare. Actually if i'm honest, I got that bit of info from Mrs Teapots blog!!

Hope you will get to visit Hillsongs church when you are in Sidney.