Monday, March 12, 2007

G'Day Mates... Im Still Alive!

Ok it's been a week since I last blogged so thought I should post something.

Still not able to put fotos up here as using MAC still, but I have uploaded some Adelaide photos to my flickr account with the tag 'AdelaideOZ' so you can view them if you wish.

So much has happened during my 1st week in Oz, the highlights have been meeting more of my family including 5 kids aged 4, 6, 11, 13 & 14....all so nice, the girls are pretty and the 2 boys love trains so we bonded well! Today I was taken to Cleland Nature Reserve in the Adelaide Hills where I got to see Kanagaroos up close, stroke them then video them hopping away! One I discovered likes apple-cores and if you feed him 2 will put up with you for a few minutes, even posing for a nice photo which I'll put up soon! Everyone I've met has been super-nice and friendly, including the gorgeous lady at the mobile phone shop where I got a Vodafone sim card..... I've now crossed over to the darkside as I never liked Vodafone in UK especially when they started sponsoring Man Utd!

Anyway I'll leave you with a few things I've observed, and probably sterotyped, in Australia so far:

Roads are much wider (apparently to allow horse-and-carts to turn round in one motion in olden days!); there's een a unique 'Southern Highway' which runs one way in mornings and the other in evenings...imagine the M6 only open into Birmingham before lunch then away from Brum in afternoons!

Churches are singposted.... very cool! Also, in the church I attended y'day, Chris/Matt/Tim are a big part of the worship music so I knew sme of the songs sung.... always a bonus! Maybe one day Mrs EB will make it out here & share her music with the lovely Aussie ppl??

There are lovely blue skies, sunshine and heat for more than 2 days without rainfall (unlike UK)... now upto 7 days of sun and counting in South Oz

So much greenery, in fact Adelaide City centre is one of only 2 (Im told) cities in the world that has a mile of green parks around the perimeter.

Anzac Biscuits are amazing

Opening a bank account is easy, even nicer when a friendly Welsh lady serves you!

Koala's aren't as cute and cuddly in reality as the stuffed animals, which are in fact made from Kangaroo skin!

Vast majority of houses in South Oz are one-storey high which is really nice & means u can see alot more landscape.

It's 11 hours by train from Adelaide to Melbourne.... a journey I'll be making on Wednesday!

South Oz is 'The festival State' whereas Victoria is 'The Place To Be' apparently!

That's all for now, be sure to check back soon. Im trying to find time to check out the SCBC crew blogs when I can... can sum1 remind Aimee to blog again please?!

Miss you all, wish you were here enjoying the Beautiful weather!

5 comments:

D Baynham said...

Hi Chris

I am so pleased you are have a top time.

I watched a programme on Kangaroo's and the big Red has been spotted swimming out at sea upto 10 miles off the coast!!!!! (a common food of Bull Shark and Great White) When I heard this fact I did wonder why its pouch didn't fill up?

Keep an eye out for snakes and funnelweb spiders;-)

dianty said...

Hi Chris,

Glad you are still having a great time.

Loved the pics, especially the pelican!

Beaches look great! Imagine leaving that to go and watch cars going round in circles. :-)

I assume you have taken some family pics? Say hi to D and K from me.

Good to be able to read all your news.

Twenty Something said...

Kangaroos and Koalas! how cute!
glad you're still having a blast
:)

p.s. thanks (again) for my christmas present - i went on sat and it was great fun (but long - 5.5 hrs!) i'll have to send you a pic when i get them (like 6 weeks - shocking!)

Teapot said...

Been looking at piccies of Oz and wishing I was there!
Here we have snow forecast! (For Monday 19th March!) One day only it seems! Watch this space!
Good to see you relaxing and enjoyin yourself.
I've just returned from trip up t'North to see my dad. 3 pubs and a cafe in two days ain't bad!!
He likes to eat out!!
Saw a huntsman spider when we stayed with Alan in Brisbane, but it was the flyin cockroaches that well scared me!!
Enjoying reading your blog!!
If you e-mail me a photo or two worth having a go at doing a painting of, I might just attempt one?
viv.sellers@blueyonder.co.uk

It's not easy being small said...

Hope you're still having a fab time! Aaron and I thought about you yesterday as we watched the snow coming down! No doubt the weather with you is far nicer!!!