Thursday, May 17, 2007

Struggles Down Under

Now, for all of my avid readers I don't like to express negativity or depression but alas thats how I've felt the past week or so. I think it's the old cliche (right term? Im sure Mr EB will clarify!) that once you STOP and try to chill after an immensely hectic 6 months you suddenly feel like 3 Central Trains (all 6-cars not the boring 3) have hit you all at once.

  • Looking & finding a place to live was quite stressful, eventually found somewhere (Ruth had felt God say through prayer that Id find somewhere on a particular day & I did); it's not sharing with mid-20's fun Aussie christians like Id hoped but its got the basics I need & is cheap ($110/wk = about 50 squids)
  • Work has also been a struggle to find, I am very grateful to be spending 2.5hrs/day helping at an After School Club (abrievated to ACT, the Aussies love abrieviations) but the income from this will not support me for too long. Funnily enough I spent an hour, rather randomly, at a church y'day and learnt that the church-office guy's son, Craif Russell I think, is living by faith in Boston where he moved to a number of years ago with now 5 kids and his wife......so I should not be stressing about my situation so much and I just know that I'll look back in a few weeks/months and ask the age old question "What was I worrying about all that for?" Today I went to a Business breakfast and came away with 2 possible work opportunities...although I really see as a last resort the option of book-keepng for a McDonalds franchise owner!!!

Aside from these 2 main worries I have found a church and made some friends, ppl are amazingly friendly here, have already been out bowling with 'the guys' (imagine the senior male members of SCBC out bowling with Charlie, Az, Gore, Spike, etc etc) having been to 1 service (where they dont have rows of chairs but circular tables with chairs AROUND them!)

So as I sit here in Tuggeranong Library writing this blog I realise that my plight isnt so bad.

Thanks for your thoughts, prayers and support...... email or facebook me with your news 'cause I miss everyone so very much.

=)

1 comment:

D Baynham said...

Keep moving forward RO, it might seem that you have hit a wall but its just some memories catching up with you and a little home sickness. Both are OK and I am praying for you.

You enjoy your time going around the World, I am very envious of your trip.

EB